VA Wet Lab Session 1: Folding Intraocular Lenses (IOL)
- Fold 7 single piece acrylic (SPA) IOLs in the wet lab using Monarch injector.
- Fold 5 three-piece IOL in the wet lab using the Monarch injector.
- Inject 1 SPA lens into a Kitaro eye.
- Describe the "time-out" procedure performed in the OR prior to cataract surgery.
- Explain how to use the operating room microscope, including the foot pedal.
- Describe how to use the phacoemulsification foot petal.
- Describe the advantages/disadvantages of the SPA vs. 3 Piece IOL.
- Know the answers to these questions:
- Which Monarch cartridge is used for a SN60WF SPA IOL? For a MA50 three piece acrylic IOL? What are the sizes of the Monarch A-D cartridges?
- How do you know if an IOL is upside down?
- Describe all of the information on an IOL calculation sheet
- Describe all of the steps of cataract surgery
- Practice performing a Yag capsulotomy
- Access to the wet lab. Please see Privett video introduction
- Henderson BA. Essentials of Cataract Surgery, second edition. Thorofare, NJ: Slack Inc., 2014. (WW 260 E78 2014). isbn 978-1-61711-0672
- Chapter 16, Intraocular Lens Calculations, Pages 156-166
- Chapter 17, Intraocular Lens Design, Material, and Delivery, Pages 167-182
- Oetting TA, ed. Basic Principles of Ophthalmic Surgery, 2nd ed. San Francisco, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2011. (WW 39 B311 2011)
- iPod video on IOL insertion and centration or on greenhorns blog
- Dr. Oetting's Facebook videos
- The following videos/sites:
Review Questions for Oral Exam
last updated: 05/18/2015